Sunday 4 December 2016

One Song - Tides of Time [Epica]

Track 09: 'Design Your Universe' by Epica
Released in 2009
Written by Mark Jansen
Performed by Simone Simons

Epica have become of my me favourite bands this year. They are known as a Symphonic Metal group who produce long and powerful pieces. I have had them around for a few years but this year I took a dive into their discography and haven’t surfaced yet.

In this ongoing blog series I will look at one song that I like, then try and say why. Don't expect overly detailed analyses, all it is is me saying what I like and why.


Tides of Time is atypical Epica song in some ways. It limits its use of instruments for a long portion and is only sung throughout by a female vocalist. It starts off quiets and calm but builds up to something a bit more powerful.

This song has a power to it from the piano to the very high singing it has a sharp presence. The comes a crash towards the end that brings in the full power of the song. You are hit with a wave of powerful but calming music.


You were always there to hold my hand
When times were hard to understand
But now the tides of time have turned
They keep changing
- - -
Seasons range, but you remain the same
A steady heart, a sun to rain
You'll be the light that's shining bright
High above me


The lyrics have an autumnal feel to them, with the turning of the seasons showing a mental turn. The is a hope to the words which though don't stand out run throughout song. People grow apart or are lost even in memory. Can it be accepted?

I can get so much from just reading the Lyrics and again more when I hear them sung. The energy put into the words by Simone Simons is outstanding.

This is a song that I think is beautiful. Beauty is more than looks, it encompass feel and sound. The sound is obvious but what this song makes me feel can only be described as beauty.


We are leaves meant to fall
There is a meaning to all
That fades
- - -

No comments:

Post a Comment