Monday 24 December 2018

One Christmas Song - I Believe In Father Christmas

Track 9 - Works Volume 2
Greg Lake

One of my favourite “popular” Christmas songs. Though it is not a Christmas song. Perhaps?
 



Death of the author is a cool concept. Art is what people see or hear it to be, so if the public at large believes this is a Christmas song who am I to argue? Well part of said public I suppose.

They said there'll be snow at christmas
They said there'll be peace on earth
But instead it just kept on raining
A veil of tears for the virgin's birth
I remember one christmas morning
A winters light and a distant choir
And the peal of a bell and that christmas tree smell
And their eyes full of tinsel and fire

A look at Christmas from the eyes of someone out of the loop as such. Taking all that we have come to accept as the perfect Christmas at heart and being disappointed by the reality. Also it is a lament on the lost meaning of Christmas, and at the magic that doesn't exist.

It even goes deep into the outsider view and the are some very cute misunderstandings. It also shatters innocence, seeing who is acting as Santa. It is all wrapped around a hopeful facade of Christmas cheer and traditions.

They sold me a dream of christmas
They sold me a silent night
And they told me a fairy story
'till I believed in the israelite
And I believed in father christmas
And I looked at the sky with excited eyes
'till I woke with a yawn in the first light of dawn
And I saw him and through his disguise

It ends on a brighter note, wishing us a happy Christmas, but it has a sting in its tail. What Christmas do we deserve? Dose it even matter what kind of Christmas you celebrate?

The musical crescendo near the end and the power in the vocals makes me shiver, it is one of the few songs to have a physical impact on me. His voice is fantastic and the performance is alive and emotive, you feel his sadness and hope.

I wish you a hopeful christmas
I wish you a brave new year
All anguish pain and sadness
Leave your heart and let your road be clear
They said there'll be snow at christmas
They said there'll be peace on earth
Hallelujah noel be it heaven or hell
The christmas you get you deserve

I love this song and I love that it is a Christmas song.

No comments:

Post a Comment