Sunday 24 December 2017

One Christmas Song - Gaudete

Traditional 16th century

The first classical piece I want to talk about for this series. Gaudete is a song that has always resonated with me on multiple levels and is what I point people in the direction of when they complain about boring old fashioned carols.



It is a deeply religious piece but then it is a carol of celebration. Not a modern vapid song about a nebulas Christmas spirit. It has it’s meaning plain it the title. Gaudete. It means Rejoice; and the carol tells us why we should.

Well it tells you if you know a bit of Latin I suppose. Even with a simple grasp on Latin the chorus is easy to understand. For the rest of it as with a lot of the traditional carols it is both in praise of and informative about the birth of Jesus.

Tempus adest gratiæ
Hoc quod optabamus,
Carmina lætitiæ
Devote reddamus.

So which version to listen to? The is the famous rendition by Steeleye Span but that has never sat with me quite right, I prefer a version by a choir. Preferably a mix of male and female soloists, with each verse in a different voice. It adds to the feeling of many people sharing the story.

With a song this old it is perhaps wrong to say the is a correct way it should be preformed. The are many takes on it that I like; from all male voice choirs to children and acapella. Though just the one strong voice for the verses and a good group for the chorus works best.

Deus homo factus est
Natura mirante,
Mundus renovatus est
A Christo regnante.

I'm not the biggest celebrant of Christmas but this is one song that never fails to put me in the right mood. And to be fair this has become more of a song to be sung before christmas. Traditionally it is sung on the third Sunday of advent with is also known as Gaudete Sunday and the first of the Sunday that look towards the coming of Christ. (the first two looks towards his second coming)

It is the first song of the season that I listen to. I hate the trend of starting Christmas early. I don’t even like having the tree up until a few day before Christmas. As a song this fits into the time frame to begin preparing myself mentally for the season to come. And it is a season, it last weeks after the day its self.

Ezechielis porta
Clausa pertransitur,
Unde lux est orta
Salus invenitur.

The one way that this song appeals to me is in my taste for rock and metal music. I have with the help of this song developed a love for symphonic metal. The are so many similarities between the two types of music and the overlap in the skill required is large. It is no surprise that some of the Rock greats have been classically trained, and if you dig into a lot of classical pieces the are some very rock-like themes.

It just comes down to liking uplifting heavy music more than any other type. And if the is no better time of year than winter for uplifting music. And again music with a story and a meaning is what I prefer and this has both along with a very catchy tune.

Ergo nostra concio
Psallat iam in lustro;
Benedicat Domino:
Salus Regi nostro.

While I do appreciate many kinds of music I have my loves and this fits squarely into it. It is my herald of Christmas time, it sets the tone of how I celebrate.

Gaudete, gaudete!
Christus est natus
Ex Maria virgine,
gaudete!

No comments:

Post a Comment